Following the release of “Combination Drills: Developed Scales in Odd Meters”, earlier in the year, I’m proud to announce that Volume 2 has just been published and is now available. Visit the Airflow Music Online Store to order your copy today!
“Combination Drills” is a collection of Developed Scale Exercises I originally wrote to familiarize myself with Odd/Asymmetric Meters I was struggling to sightread. Volume 1 had the patterns in 5/8 and 7/8, exploring the various rhythmic divisions in those meters. This 2nd Volume extends the patterns into 9/8 (expressed as an asymmetric 4 beats per bar, as well as the common compound 3) and 11/8 (expressed as both 4 and 5 asymmetric bears per bar!).
In addition, if practiced according to the enclosed instructions, they will work out a Combination of technical and musical skills, including:
- Scales (fully notated Major, “Jazz” Minor, Harmonic Minor, Whole Tone and Diminished versions in all 12 keys)
- Finger/Slide technique.
- Tonguing – particularly developing a gentle single-tongue approach which rides the airstream throughout long phrases and across different registers.
- Unifying the airflow approach between slurring and tonguing.
- Connecting low and high registers.
- Stabilizing the embouchure throughout register changes.
- Developing breath support throughout long phrases and register changes.
- Use of Breath Accents, both while slurring and tonguing.
The 1st Volume has been extremely well received by brass players all over the world. I hope that Volume 2 will garner similar praise!
Visit AirflowMusic.com to get your immediate PDF download today. The Airflow Music product pages also contain links to purchase printed books from Amazon.com and it’s regional variants around the world. (At the time of this post, printed copies of Volume 1 are available from almost all Amazon sites worldwide. However, Volume 2 is still filtering through the network, so we’ll be updating the Amazon links as they become available over the next week or two.)